Who am I?
Hi, I’m Joanna Gould, if you have any questions, email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
I’m a creative thinker and usually I’m scribbling ideas/research down on a piece of paper, or underlining words in my books…
I love learning. So much so, that I spent most of my early 20s studying: Christchurch Polytechnic Certificate in Business Computing, Foundation Design Certificate in Graphic Design, Impact Personnel Certificate in Interior Design, Academy Certificate in Floristry, Small Business Enterprise Centre Small Business Startup and FUSE Art Business Startup.
I’ve worked in a graphic design studio, Coastline Arts & Crafts co-op, CraftWorld art/craft business, digital printing business, The Warehouse, and then we created our own small business Think Design Print in 2005 before our son was born.
Why did I create “Get Creative Christchurch?”
I’m a creative ‘fixer’/designer, if I see a problem, I use my problem solving/research skills to create possibilities, and/or I see it as an opportunity to look at the problem in a different way.
– April 2018: I started with this ‘project’ https://www.10shirleyroad.org.nz/imagine/
I created https://www.10shirleyroad.org.nz/, to collate my ideas/research for the rebuild of the Shirley Community Centre, as part of my submission to the Christchurch City Council 2018 Long Term Plan.
– May 2018: Presented my verbal submission to the Christchurch City Council’s 2018 Long Term Plan, for the rebuild of the Shirley Community Centre, to create a multi-cultural centre as a “Gateway to the East.”
Mayor Lianne Dalziel said “Are you saying that rather than just building back a community centre, that actually we should look at the whole of the area, and look at the whole of the needs.
So maybe what we need to be considering for the Long Term Plan is a budget that would enable a full needs analysis, and to look at what the different options are.”
– June 2018: I began to look around at our Richmond suburb, and my ideas/research became my “Rise Up Richmond” website https://www.riseuprichmond.nz/.
– July 2018: Regenerate Christchurch asked for feedback on their Red Zone Futures Exhibition: https://engage.regeneratechristchurch.nz/red-zone-futures-exhibition-online
Created https://www.riseuprichmond.nz/red-zones-future-ideas-map-by-joanna-gould/, for my Red Zone Futures ideas.
Created https://www.riseuprichmond.nz/otakaro-avon-river-corridor/, for my Ōtākaro Avon River Corridor feedback:
– August 2018: “Help develop the draft Arts Strategy for Ōtautahi Christchurch.
Have Your Say on the draft Christchurch City Council Arts Strategy 2018.”
Created http://getcreativechristchurch.nz/ to collate my ideas/research for my feedback.
What is my “WHY?”
I like questions as they make me think, and wonder ‘what is my answer?’.
Why did I create https://www.10shirleyroad.org.nz/, https://www.riseuprichmond.nz/ & now http://getcreativechristchurch.nz/, because I needed to ‘be creative’ as a human being for my well-being.
‘I am a human being, not a human doing. Don’t equate your self-worth with how well you do things in life. You aren’t what you do. If you are what you do, then when you don’t…you aren’t.’ – Dr. Wayne Dyer
Last year after becoming ill in winter, I had a relapse of my chronic pain condition (CRPS) and I was referred to Burwood Hospital Pain Clinic.
While on the waiting list, I was limited physically by the pain, and the only thing I could do at the time, was watch HGTV/online classes and read books.
It was a very frustrating time for me, my mental health and well-being suffered, until I realised although I couldn’t physically ‘be creative’, I still could use my brain to ‘be creative’.
Then one day in April…https://www.10shirleyroad.org.nz/imagine/, and since that day I have been reading about and researching: Shirley Community Centre, Christchurch Community Centres/Libraries, George Penlington, Dudley Creek Flood Remediation, Christchurch history/architecture, Māori architecture/arts/crafts, Eco Friendly Building, Library Design, Playground Design, Accessibility Design, STEM, STEAM, Maker Spaces, Urban Design, Healthy Communities/Streets, Community Mapping, Creative Placemaking, Google My Maps, Richmond history/people/streets, Ōtākaro Avon River Corridor, Street Art, W.A. Sutton, Richard Bedward Owen, Creativity, Mental Health, Identity, Well-being, Learning Spaces…
Q. Why is identity, well-being and learning important to me?
A. When we know who we are (identity), what we need to be healthy (well-being), and the importance of a growth mindset (learning), this causes a positive ripple effect in our businesses, community and economy.
“Tangata ako ana i te kāenga, te tūranga ki te marae, tau ana.
A person nurtured in the community contributes strongly to society.”
– https://www.10shirleyroad.org.nz/ | Shirley Community Centre, Christchurch, New Zealand
– https://www.riseuprichmond.nz/ | Rise Up Richmond, Christchurch, New Zealand
– How HGTV’s ‘Fixer Upper’ changed Waco, Texas Creative Placemaking
– I traveled to Waco, Texas, to see the town that has been transformed by HGTV’s hit show ‘Fixer Upper’ Creative Entrepreneurs Chip & Joanna Gaines transforming their hometown, Waco, Texas